In this episode we talk about all the things to consider and questions you should be asking to build a relationship with the RIGHT tiny house builder.
- Where to look:If you are looking for a List of builders Annie has a good one started Tiny House Resource HEREwww.tinyHouseMap.comLocal builders/contractors (post in Craigslist)
Questions To Ask:
- Ask for references (and call them!) see pictures of previous houses/projects ad get the testimonials if possible.
- Ask what kind of warranty they offer on work?
- Check for complaints via the Better Business Bureau.
- Is he/she a licensed & insured manufacturer?
- Are the finished models titled? What is that process?
- How long have they been building? How many tiny houses have they completed?
- Do they deliver? Where? Shipping charges?
- Are they RVIA certified? (I think this one will become more and more important as time goes on, just a guess though…)
- What is the timeline to completion?
- When can they start? (a good portion of builders are booked WAY out!)
- What their communication level is during the process? Do they have a blog where they post constant updates and photos? YouTube videos? Is visiting the site okay?
- What kind of insulation do you use (consider your climate on if this it important to you)
- Ask a lot of questions about material type and quality. This is where you can bring up your requests too which will greatly help inform a quote.
- Ask about the trailer, what is the max weight and what will the house weigh completed?
- Is the trailer new or used?
- How the structure is attached to the trailer? (you don’t have to know the right answers but they had better have AN answer )
- How do they handle moisture protection on the exterior
- How do they plumb the house?
- Do you build to electrical/mechanical codes?